Tuesday 2 August 2011

Alpinestars Tech 10

Alpinestars Tech 10s are widely regarded as one of the best motocross boots that money can buy. At nearly £400 a pair, they are something of a status symbol among bikers. In the white finish there is something very Stormtrooper about them, and I've always wanted a pair after a friend of mine loaned me his to wear for an evening out... 
The Tech 10 has an inner boot which supports the ankle - it is made of neoprene and comes with a plastic exoskeleton that protects the ankle. You put these on first and then put on the outer boot which by the time you have all the straps adjusted makes you feel like some kind of invincible superhero!

So... I was mooching around eBay the other day when I found a pari of Tech 10s in my size going for £70. They looked a bit of a bargain, so bids were made, money exchanged and the Tech 10s duly arrived in their original box.

...and they they have stayed. They are a lot more worn than the photo or description suggested - with no less than four holes in the uppers and a broken strap. Normally that wouldn't worry me as on a £400 MX boot, £12 buys a set of new straps, but unfortunately the clasp is what's broken and they don't sell spares. Add to that the size is a US11 not a UK11 so they are a devil to get on and off and I'm £70 down and pretty unhappy.

I'm not too unhappy - when I look at all my other eBay purchases it is rare for something to go wrong like this and I have been on a run of luck lately. It's just a pity it ran out at the Tech 10s...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andy,
    If you still have them, I'm interested in those Tech 10's since US11 is my size. You can contact me at "sneakers855@gmail.com".
    Thanks !

    ReplyDelete