Sunday 16 January 2011

Two Belgian sneaker parties and a badly sprained ankle...

I had an interesting New Year this year - I went to Antwerp with some friends for a few days, but this year the dates coincided with two sneaker parties: one in Antwerp at the "Oink Oink" and another at Le Dusquenoy in Brussels.

In Belgium they don't seem to have building regulations like the do in the UK and many of the staircases are narrow with shallow treads. Not very far into the week I managed to miss my footing on one of these staircases and sprain my left ankle quite badly. This put me at a disadvantage, as with many of these sneaker parties the interesting stuff goes on upstairs or downstairs of the bar. With a combination of Ibruprofen and Kreik I managed to cope... 

What were the sneaker parties like? Well, the one at the Oink Oink was pretty quiet - I think there were only four or five of us that turned up, and we all stayed in the bar chatting to the staff and regular customers.  It's a really friendly place, so we had a good time anyway... As the party was on a wednesday evening between christmas and new year, and we were assured this was unusual and down to the timing. The one at Le Dusquenoy, on a Sunday afternoon, was much better attended - similar numbers to a quiet Feet on Friday and there was a good variety of guys and footwear on show. As outsiders we found it difficult to get into the etiquette of whatever cruising strategies are needed - a little reminiscent of the parties we've been to in Paris... although I am prepared to accept that sprained ankle pain may have marred the experience.  

I plan on going back to Oink Oink in June for the Fenix Skin Week - and there will undoubtedly be a sneaker party organised by AFG3S, which is very well attended with plenty of action. As for Le Dusquenoy, I'm waiting to find out the dates of their next parties...  

I'm compiling a list of the international sneaker parties, which I'll publish on the Feet on Friday website. If you run one, of know of one you'd like listed, send me an email and we'll add it to the list.  

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment